Monday, June 7, 2010

Splash Away...

Well, not yet really, but close. 


As you can see we have begun to lay the back splash tile. To date, it was the most fun project we have worked on together. SuperMoto and I started out the Sunday morning knowing that he would have to leave that night on the late ferry and be up all night. We had two potential projects, the back splash and the lighting that we were considering attempting. We went for the tile and boy was I glad that we did. 


We had so much fun. He did the corners and all of the cutting and I laid the long rows where I could reach and where no cutting was required. When I got to a spot where we needed a cut I moved on to a different spot and he came in behind me and did that piece. We worked like a well oiled tiling machine.


It went so fast. We got the big wall done and half of the small wall. All told we got about 75% of the tiling done in one morning. I am so happy. 


Now remember, this is tumbled travertine tile so it has to be grouted and then sealed with a seal enhancer. The sealing will take away the chalky white part and leave a right, varied, brown variety. I would say that the photos don't do it great justice but this isn't about you liking everything we are doing, it is about you seeing what we are doing as it really is. :)


These tiles are extremely rustic and uneven and it will give us a varied look to the grout line along with the variations in the stones themselves. We are so please! If I get brave, I might consider finishing the tile but I doubt it. After watching him do all those intricate cutes I have nearly given up on that idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment